Keep Voting For New Swindon Badge
Swindon Town F.C is giving fans the chance to choose the clubs new badge.
Swindon Town FC - a brief summary of Badge history and development.
The current badge of Swindon Town FC was introduced in time for the 1991/92 season. The design clearly has the letter 'S' (for Swindon) running through it, while a green section was also included at the time to match a new 'green trim' introduced on the team's home (red and white) shirts.
A re-design of one of Swindon Town's original club badges was re-introduced in the mid 80's showing the more traditional shield, and included the club name, a robin (after the club's nickname 'The Robins'), a train (the rail industry being an important part of the Town's heritage) a football and the league that the team played in. An important change on the re-introduction to the original design was that the motto - 'Salubritas et Industria' - meaning 'healthy and industrious, was at that time replaced with the words, 'Division Four Champions 1985/1986'. This motto was one shared with that of the town since 1901.
During the 1970s, a new badge (known by some as the 'traffic sign' badge) temporarily replaced the original 'shield' design before that was eventually re-introduced. A circular design it had the letters 'S' and 'T' interlocked, which both ends of the letter 'S' being made into an arrow. Also shown on this one there was a simple football plus the club name. This was used until the start of the 1986/87 season, when the club reverted to an amended design of the original badge.
Why change the club badge?
The present club badge has used for the past 16 years and this design that was introduced when the club felt that it needed a 'brand new' and 'fresh' image, following a difficult period in it's history following the issues of the late 80's and a relegation. Although this change may have been refreshing at the time and served its purpose, it did not retain any of the heritage from the traditional club badge.
We feel now is an opportunity to revisit the possible reintroduction of a design that would be a return to something akin to the club's traditional shield design and also the include the motto - 'Salubritas et Industria'
As well as reinstating the heritage aspect, both of Club and Town, it would also give the club a solid mission statement, the motto translating to - 'healthy and industrious' which would then be used across all facets of the club, from the football team, back room staff, fans, and also the community development team.
However, we appreciate that to simply adopt a replica of a previous design may not fully reflect the requirements for today. The suggestion is therefore that by simplifying the elements and also the colour schemes, we will create a badge which not only captures our tradition and heritage, but one which will be welcomed by fans on the first team kit and other merchandise. The logo is also displayed on official stationary, the official website, media backdrops etc which is why such a simplification is necessary as it will facilitate part of the printing process.
The Foundation date of Swindon Town: 1879 or 1881?
In the first book club historian Dick Mattick - a former club director, ever wrote on Swindon Town F C, 1989's 'The Robins', the foundation date of 1881 was stated. This was the generally accepted date at the time and the club itself celebrated its centenary with a match against cup holders Ipswich Town in 1981. It came from the merger of the Spartans and St Marks Young Men's Friendly Society after they had played out a 2-2 draw but more recent research indicates an earlier formation date.
On 29th November 1879 a match was played and reported on two weeks later in The Swindon Advertiser as being between Swindon Association FC and Rovers FC which resulted in a 4-0 defeat for the Swindon side who were a man short.
Perhaps the best person to be arbiter of the club's foundation is the Rev William Baker Pitt who was the founder. Research carried out by Peter Lupson for his book 'Thank God for Football' turned up a speech made by the Rev Pitt at a dinner in 1911 to celebrate the club's winning of the Southern League. As part of this speech he said 'we decided to call our club the Swindon Town Football Club but found this rather a large mouthful to shout out so we afterwards changed the name to the Spartans'. Hence, Dick Mattick and other local historians now regard the first match played by Swindon as this 1879 match in which Pitt, along with Cockbill and Watson, were reported as having given good service for the visitors. It is for this reason that '1879' has been incorporated into the new designs.
Your Vote Counts
The decision to change the design of the badge is not one that the Club would wish to take in isolation and it is a real opportunity to involve the fans, supporters groups together with ourselves, in a decision which could last for a long time in the clubs continuing history.
We would like to invite all our fans to vote for one of four options - options 1, 2 and 3 are different designs based on an updated version of the 'Shield' badge. Option 4 is our current logo, so if your preference is for no change please vote for Option 4.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your preference - either Option 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the subject header.
The vote will run from today until Friday 20th April, with the results announced on Monday 23rd April. To view the badges and select your favourite please click HERE